Communications Specialist (Contract)
Status: 12-Month Contract (8-16 hours/week)
Compensation: Negotiable based on experience and skill level
Preferred Start Date: September 12, 2017
Deadline to Apply: August 14th (Applications accepted on a rolling basis)
About the Portland Parks Foundation
PPF is a private nonprofit organization with a mission to mobilize public and financial support for a thriving and accessible parks system for a healthy Portland. We work closely with Portland Parks & Recreation to achieve the city’s vision for exceptional parks.
PPF is committed to promote equity, diversity and inclusion in its work. We believe that equitable access to urban parks and natural areas - sharing the positive outcomes of parks on recreation, physical and mental health, neighborhood economy and child development among all Portlanders - is fundamental to our mission and to sustain a great city. PPF is committed to help dismantle barriers across the breadth of our work for Portland’s parks, including in our leadership and staff, donors, volunteers, partners, campaigns and projects. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds.
PPF is seeking a Communications Specialist who will play a key role in the continued growth of PPF by assuring timely communication of PPF’s campaigns and programs. The Communications Specialist will also increase community engagement and support for the Foundation through strategic communications. The consultant works directly with PPF’s Administrative Officer and Executive Director.
Scope of Work
The following outlines the expected scope of work, but PPF is open to developing the scope with the contractor directly.
- Create a communications strategy for the Portland Parks Foundation
- Lead the development and implementation of internal and external communications plan
- Set operational strategy for outreach efforts and social media campaigns
- Develop and oversee alignment of key messages
- Shape PPF’s priority campaign messaging
- Prepare talking points
- Create promotional and educational content about PPF and active campaigns
- Oversee all creative, including website, ads, publications and brochures
- Create and implement a content editorial calendar to manage content and plan for specific campaigns and events
- Manage and write content for PPF’s digital media outreach: email marketing, social media, monthly newsletters, regular blogs and PPF’s Facebook page.
- Design digital content and web/print graphics for campaign materials, special events and donor communications
- Demonstrated success in the conception, development and production of compelling print and web content in a nonprofit sector
- Understanding of marketing and branding strategies, social media and multi-media platforms
- Strong interest in parks, nonprofit organizations, parks foundations, or other outdoor-oriented or health-related organization
- Some work or volunteer experience in nonprofit organizations
- Experience in outreach, public engagement, building relationships and representing an organization
- Demonstrated exceptional writing and editing skills
- Excellent knowledge about email marketing software such as Emma
- Experience in web design with working knowledge of Squarespace preferred
- Must be able to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Windows environment, Word, Excel and cloud-based databases.
This is a 1099 contract position. Compensation will be paid at a fixed rate based on experience and skills level. We're looking for a local candidate who can commit to 8-16 hours/week and come into the office occasionally for meetings.
5:00 p.m., August 14, 2017. Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled with qualified candidates on a rolling basis as applications are received. PPF will communicate promptly with applicants about the status of their applications.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and a cover letter of no more than two pages outlining your interest in the Portland Parks Foundation and your qualifications for the contract position. Applications by email with the requested letter and resume attached as a Word or PDF document are preferred. Please email your application with a subject heading of Communications Specialist to email@example.com or mail by post to:
Portland Parks Foundation
1500 SW First Avenue, Suite 760